Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Carbo load party

We headed out to the Carbo Load party.  The nervous anticipation in the air was evident in all of those around us.  It was great that Mum and Dad were able to come along.  I knew that Dad would find the whole thing very inspiring and I knew that Mum would get a good appreciation of what was involved in. 

Merinda was there and gave me a handkerchief that was embroidered with my name and the Ironman New Zealand logo - it was just beautiful!  So thoughtful and beautiful!  She also gave me a gift bag that my training buddies put together - it was fantastic and contained a really touching card wishing me well and a whole heap of Australiana things including flags, badges, tattoos and a koala!  The koala had arms that snap together and I tried it out later on my bike seat post and he hung on there beautifully, so he was going to join me on the race!  I was so touched by the thoughtful gifts; it was really lovely and very unexpected.


The food was great and there was plenty of it.  I had vegetable lasagne and bread and salad, it was great.  After everyone had eaten the entertainment began.  It started off with a group of maori's singing and dancing, sort of Haka style.  It was great, they were very fierce!  Then there was the strangest parade of nations I have ever seen; lady models body painted (OK - body stocking to look like paint) in something to reflect the countries being represented.  The Sydney Opera House was for Australia.  They were really good and very different.

They applauded the 400 or so newbie Ironmen competitors - 1/3rd of the field had never completed an Ironman!  I was one of them and looked just as scared as all of the others!

Then there were some speeches.  It was hosted by Mike Reilly and he introduced us to one of the original 1978 Hawaii Ironman finishers - David Orlowski.  They showed photos of the bike that he rode in the original race which he only borrowed a week before the race!  He did the whole race in cut-off denim shorts and the finish line was basically a few people standing around on the side of the road.  His nutrition plan was to put money into his cut off shorts and call in to service stations and even McDonalds!

Wow, how things have changed!

0 comments: