Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Monday, January 28, 2008

90k ride

I rode with Jacque today seeing as it was her 40th birthday party on Saturday night which rendered us both a bit useless for the squad ride on Sunday morning. Seeing as it is a long weekend for Australia Day we opted for a Monday morning ride instead.

We started out nice and early, rolling at 5:45am; it was set to be a hot day! We did almost 3 loops of our Yatala to Coomera V1 ride which was great. We turned on the 3rd loop just after the Jacobs Well Road turnoff.

It was uneventful in that we didn't have any flat tyres even though there was heaps of glass on the road. We both were really happy with the ride. We rode for 3 1/2 hours totalling 90k's. We stopped briefly to restock water bottles and grab some food, but this wouldn't have been a 10min stop.

It was very hot and on the 2nd and 3rd loops there was quite a stong head wind going out, funnily enough we didn't notice it on the way back... I went through 3 Accelerade bottles which makes me wonder if I should take 4 out for next weeks ride at Goondiwindi. I think the conditions at Goondiwindi are going to be similar to today. Hot and windy! There will be no let up from the wind either as it is just cotton crops on either side of the road - not the best kind of crop for protection against the wind! It is known for its cross winds - should make for an interesting ride. It was good for me to do this distance today just to know that I can do it. My heart rate was between 140 and 155bpm, I'll aim to have it around the 150 - 155 next week for the 80k with a cadence of 90 -95. It will be a mental challenge for me to have everyone overtake me, I'll just have to focus on my cadence and HR and refueling myself. I will get to the end eventually! I'm not sure of our average speed as my speedo didn't work, I'll drop my Polar HRM into Polar as soon as I finish Gundi.

Jacque dropped me a couple of times (up every hill and even on the the flats a couple of times!). It is good to see that she has grabbed her fitness back so quickly after her Christmas break, I just hope mine returns soon after my Christmas break and then injury break!!! I'll try and reel her in a little bit.

0 comments: