Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

First road cycle after my accident

I did it... I am back on the bike on the road. It wasn't with the whole squad, but one step at a time. I was really nervous and not feeling very comfortable, but luckily Craig and Dad came along and we rode along at my pace (slow) and we did two of the Coomera loops which meant twice riding past where I fell off last weekend.

The first loop was spent with me getting my confidence back and just trying to calm down, the second loop I was feeling a lot more relaxed and comfortable. I sat on Dad's wheel for quite a bit of the way to get my confidence back. I even managed to pass a few people that were doing a road race from the Le Mans track - I passed them going up the hill and then they passed me going down the hill - must work on my descents!

The average speed was very slow -24.8km/h. I normally do this loop in 27-30km/h depending if I am on my own or with Dad and Craig. I was a bit disappointed that it was so slow, but the objective today was to get back on the bike and get some confidence back and that has been achieved. Average HR was probably between 120 and 130, not high.

Also, another good thing is it poured with rain, so I did end up riding in the rain! The rain was on and off and in places the road was quite wet, just as we were coming in to finish though it absolutely poured - we were drenched!

I do feel as though I have lost a bit of strength and fitness on the bike, but I'm hoping I can gain it back pretty quickly. Probably not in time for Goondiwindi, but I have resigned myself to the fact that it will be a pretty slow ride and luckily I'm OK with that and so are my team mates!

0 comments: