Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Run/Swim Brick session

We met at 5am at Sutton's beach where it felt like the middle of the night! There was Alicia, Sarah and myself. The plan was to run for 90mins and then have 30mins recovery prior to the squad swim.

Alicia was a little concerned with the distance as she hadn't run that far in a long time. We ran north up towards Scarborough for 30minutes and then back to Suttons beach and continued south for 15minutes before turning back for home.

The pace was slightly uncomfortable for me, we were running around the 6min/k mark, there were times that we were on 5:40 pace. But it was good, I learnt that I can hold that pace for longer than I thought.

We spent 20minutes stretching and then stood in the cool water for a while to cool our legs prior to getting ready for the swim.

I felt pretty good, I had eaten 1 vegemite sandwich whilst running. I had some dried fruit prior to the swim just so that I had some energy.

I attempted to put my wetsuit on, however my foot immediately cramped! Bummer... I gave it away and swum without the wettie. The water was actually really nice. We did a good warmup in the water and then we did some ins and outs around the buoys and then we practices swim starts across the back of the two buoys which we did 6 times.

I discovered a few little insights; my swimming needs a lot of work and my breaststroke in open water is faster than my freestyle! Oh well, I am going to really concentrate on swimming from here on in. I am happy to not be fast, I just want to be comfortable coming out of the swim so that is my motivation.

0 comments: