Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Spin Class at Ride Inside

It was an interesting spin class. I woke up in agony, my calf muscles were excruciating. I wasn't quite sure if it was from the massage or the stairs. In hindsight - I am blaming the stairs!

I could hardly crouch down to go to the loo - yeah, I know; too much information! Craig and I left and we headed in, I hobbled in to Ride Inside and set up the bike, etc. I took great care once I was on the bike doing a warmup to really stretch the calves out. I was really worried about running off the bike with my legs as tight as a ducks bum.

The spin class was a cardio session where we did sets of 3 minutes at 90 and then 95% HR. I could not get my HR about 143! It was a disaster, I tried different gears, tried higher cadence - which I struggled with and then lower cadence. Nothing was working. I was at about 100 Cadence and breathing hard, but the HR wasn't budging. I called Mark over and explained it to him and he asked if I was tired. My legs were sure tired! I explained that the stairs yesterday seemed to knock me around and that I was a bit tired so he said to listen to my body and go with that. So I felt like a bit of a bludger, sitting there at 140 while everyone around me was pushing a high HR.

During the recovery sets I took great care to stretch out the calves again and then after the last set we ran off the bike. I took off as hard as I could and thought that I would just try and maintain it for as long as I could. My legs were actually OK, I didn't get any twinges to indicate they were about to cramp and I was running quite strongly. I was quite happy with my run. I think that the massage can attribute a fair bit to reducing the cramps as ordinarily if I was that tight in the calves there's no way they wouldn't have cramped on a quick sprint.

We did a warmdown and then lots of stretching.

At coffee afterwards Sarah was telling me about her shin splints and how she was doing Bribie, but just not doing the run. So, I offered to do the run for her and she changed things so that she was a team. I figured in lieu of my fatigued status I could do the run hard or slow depending on how I felt on the day and I probably didn't need to do the whole lot. Although I must start swimming sometime soon or I am going to drown at Mooloolaba!!!

0 comments: