Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Stairs... and then some more stairs!!!

I ran with the BTS Squad this morning. Chris and Robson took the session and we did our warmup along to the front of the Kangaroo Point Cliffs which is a little bit shorter than where we usually go. Instead of thinking, "Oh, this is nice" I should have twigged...

We did some stride outs and some bum kicks and then we were sufficiently warmed up.

I hadn't noticed before but halfway along the cliffs are a set of stairs that wind and weave up into the clouds to the top of the cliffs! We had to do two sets of these doing quick steps followed by some step lunges and then another two quicksteps (we did get to take it easy on the way down - walk/jog recover). My lungs were burning! Thank goodness my HRM was accidentally left down at Torquay in the unit we stayed in as it would have been off the radar!

After that we did another set of step lunges and then we did 2 goes at going up 2 steps at a time, then we did some planks down the bottom and then we did another 1 of the steps going 2 at a time and then up the top of the steps we had a little breather - phew! Managed to enjoy the views for just about a full minute before we went into 5 x 5 pushups followed by a quick sprint out jog back recovery and into the next set.

After this set we all congregated and did a squat for about a minute and then a sprint hard until we got to the end of the cliffs and then we jogged back to the Active Stride shop at Southbank for a recovery.

My legs were shaking, they were still shaking when I was in the shower at work almost an hour later! This is by far the hardest session I have done in a while.

The different exercises were aimed to mimic swim to cycle, cycle to run transitions which are great practice.

I felt quite strong today even though I am really struggling now, it was a great session. I had no hints of cramping in the legs and I really feel that this is due to the massage that I had.

0 comments: