Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Cootha Reps have begun!

Today was Cootha reps.  Sigh...  for a person that sucks at climbing, the words "Cootha Reps" send shivers down my spine.

The girls were told to do 3 laps (and I find out later that some did more than that!).  However, I have a new bike, hence a new bike fit and an injured hamstring so I was reluctant to do too much and overload my body.  So, I did a Bardon loop followed by 2 loops of Cootha.

Most importantly the bike felt great!  Troy Hawkins had given it the complete overhaul and it was running beautifully.  I did have a 'moment' where I couldn't get it out of the big chain ring, but it was user error with the SRAM gears and I think I have that sorted now.

Less importantly, but still very important I felt good doing the 2 laps.  There was a storm the night before and there was a lot of gravel on the road, but it was mainly on the other side of the road.  I saw Marcel Bengston there warning cyclists coming down the hill about the gravel.  He recognised me and called out a "Hello Emma".  Thankfully I don't think anyone came a cropper on the gravel, it can be quite precarious coming down the steep side.

I timed my second lap and it was just under 35minutes, so I am pretty thrilled with that as I wasn't pushing it at all.  It means when I go to do the 5 laps I should be able to get them done in around 3 hours.  So, if I leave home at 4:30 and ride there I should be finished them at 8am.  I could then ride to work and be in there by 8:30.  Food and shower and I will be ready for work shortly after 9.  So, this is good to know as I have been worried about how long it was going to take me and whether I would have to ask for time off work.

When I finished I felt as though I could have gone another lap without too much hassle.  So, it is nice to finish a ride like that knowing that I could have done more.

Bec sent through a good mantra today and I will try and use it more.  I don't know the exact wording, but basically instead of saying, "I have to do Cootha reps today", say "I get to do Cootha reps today".  See how it changes your perspective?  I  like it, because at the end of the day, I do get to choose to do Cootha reps!!

0 comments: