Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Sunday, November 15, 2009

I'm not loving my new bike...

Well, the bonding of my new bike is not going well.

I purchased a Cervelo R3 SL bike off bike exchange.  The same size as my Cervelo Soloist.  The R3 SL is running SRAM Red gearing which I was looking forward to checking out as I had problems with my Ultegra gearing on my Soloist since I purchased it.   I learned to live with it, but it was never right.

Well, I am now having problems with my SRAM Red gears.  It begs the question; is it the user??  I don't claim to be a great cyclist and I have on many occasions been told I'm in the wrong gear...  However, in the few small weeks I have owned my R3 SL I have; broken a chain, jammed the chain 3 times, had trouble going into the big gear ring and getting out of the big gear ring.  It has been a case of every time I have ridden it I have been frustrated with it.

Initially we took it to our LBS a couple of days prior to Noosa Triathlon just so that I could get it running well enough to do the tri.  They made it better, but I broke the chain after they tweaked it and have had plenty of problems with it since.

I have had Dad tweak it and replace the chain for me and he has made it better, but it is still not right.  I am still having trouble.  So it is now with Troy Hawkins and I am hoping that he can fix it up and get it running right.  I have lost a lot of confidence in the bike and I really need to start clocking up the k's on it pretty soon!

Needless to say, the jury's out on SRAM Red just for the moment.  I'll reserve judgement until I ride it after Troy has fixed it up.

0 comments: