Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Dayboro Ride

This morning's ride was from Ashgrove Paint shop on the corner of Newmarket and Enoggera Road.

It was quite a big group which always freaks me out.  I am happy riding with 3 or 4 people but once it gets above that my stress levels get pretty high.  Thankfully when we headed out I was 2nd wheel so this made it a bit more bearable!

Unfortunately someone got a flat tyre just before Samford hill, so we pulled up and waited and then decided that given the size of the group and where we were pulled over we probably didn't all have to wait.  Craig, Faye, Ewan, Jacque and I started heading off.

I lost the others as soon as we started climbing over the hill into Samford, but Jacque and I soon hooked up on the road out to Dayboro.  It was a really hot day, very humid, so I was pleased that we left at a nice early 5am. 

Just as we were about to hit Dayboro township we were picked up by some of the others so we jumped on the back of them and hitched a ride in! 

Quick loo stop and we kept going, Adrian, Jacque and I kept riding towards Mt Mee for 10 minutes and then back so that our ride would end up being 3.5hours. 

It was a good ride back, Adrian was trying to chase Alicia down, so Jacque and I hung on to the back of him and we were working pretty hard until we dropped off!  We regrouped at Samford and refilled drink bottles before heading back.

Craig, Ewan and Faye ended up coming back through Samford the same time we were leaving.  I followed Jacque up the hill at Samford and worked pretty hard to stay on her wheel.  We both descended pretty well and ended up just behind then at Ferny Grove.  I jumped on to the back of them and we cruised back into Ashgrove.  Jacque rode back with Alicia and Adrian.

Overall, I was really happy with this ride, I certainly finished stronger than I started, we put in some good solid efforts as well as some nice aerobic riding.  It ended up being just under 3.5hours and Jacque said that our average was just under 27kph, which given the hills I'm really happy with.

I really need to work on my hills; if I am following someone up a hill I can work hard to follow their wheel and hang on to them but if I am on my own I just lose the plot and grind up ever so slowly!  I will try and work on this over the coming weeks. 

0 comments: