Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Saturday, December 19, 2009

4 hour ride - 30min run

There was an Ironman camp on this weekend.  Craig and I didn't go as we had the kids and were tag-teaming our training over the weekend.  Also we are hosting Christmas and Boxing Day lunch for our families so there was plenty to do at home.

I rode with Sarah, Alicia and Renee out at Coomera.  We met at 5:30 and rode out towards Jacobs Well and then towards Coomera down to Dreamworld and then back again.  Then we rode down the V1 towards Coomera Dreamworld and then I rode back with the girls and left them to continue on for an hour on my own.

Riding with the girls was lovely, I was mainly not drafting as I said that I wanted to be under my own steam and our pace was nice and steady. 

Once I said goodbye to the girls and went out on my own I felt good for the first 15mins and then it all started to fall apart.  I had been drinking heaps the last couple of hours, however the first 90mins of the ride I only drank half of my drink bottle, so I think this was coming back to bite me on the bum!  I drank, I ate, still I felt slow and lacking energy and I was really just turning the cranks over. 

Needless to say the run was quite slow.  I grabbed a water and a gel and headed out.  It was so slow it wasn't funny, but at least I figured it was a run off the bike!  I don't do gels. I'm not a fan of them and figure that they are just manufactured expensive muck, however Craig loves them and I figure that if I can get used to them it is going to be a lot easier to handle in the marathon than other food or at least I could mix it up with other food.  So, I had taken an enervite gel with me and figured that seeing as I was on my own I would give it a go and if it made me puke I could do so in my own privacy!  Anyway, I opened it up and sucked a bit down and it wasn't too bad!  Although I realised afterwards that the amount that I took was lucky to be 1/8th of the gel!  Never mind - it's a start.

So, it was a 4hr 15min ride, 110kms, 30min run (probably 2kms...  :-)  )  I went through 5 bottles of High-5 4:1 electrolytes, 1 and 3/4 vegemite sandwiches and a miniscule amount of gel with a bottle of water. 

0 comments: