Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tuesday's turn of events...

I don't know what it is about Tuesday's but I really struggle...

Couldn't get out of bed to go for a run for love nor money.  It's a run I look forward to as it is a short hilly run around home with Nattie.  But it just wasn't happening.  I think I need a good 8 to 9 hours sleep on a Monday night to recover from the weekend's activities and Monday's speed session at the crit.

So, because I have started on with the allergy desensitisation vaccines on a Tuesday lunchtime a lunch run is out of the question as there isn't supposed to be any exercise happening for several hours after the vaccine.  In lieu of this I have changed my run to go Monday's after work with a girl I work with who has just started running.  She is quite fit as she plays other sports and is doing really well and I think we will be a similar pace so this should work out well.  Another change to the plan!

I had my allergy injection yesterday, this is the 2nd injection of 12 weekly injections before it turns into fortnightly injections.  I am allergic to dust mites, grasses, pollens, cat, trees; so for somone training for a triathlon this becomes quite annoying, particularly the dust one as we are in the middle of a drought and the dust is unavoidable!  The first injection last week went really well and I had no localised pain or itchiness where I was injected and no other symptoms.  This week was double the dose and it seemed to go OK yesterday afternoon although the spot that they injected the serum was a bit sore.  Last night however, I just started wheezing and coughing for no apparent reason.  I suspected it was the vaccine and did a bit of research (Google is my friend!) and discovered that it is quite common for the vaccine to induce asthma symptoms including wheezing and coughing.  I thought about taking some asthma medication but took a strepsil that Craig offered me instead.  I don't get any relief from asthma medication and whilst I have been diagnosed by almost every doctor that I have seen with asthma there is no evidence of it.  Every spyrometer test I have had done has shown no better results after taking ventolin, so the jury's out on that one.  From my point of view, why take asthma medication if there is no evidence that it does actually reduce my symptoms.

So, I think that if I continue to get symptoms such as these in hindsight I will take an anti-histamine and hopefully that will settle things down a bit. Hopefully the symptoms won't get any worse than this and affect my training!!!!

0 comments: