Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Monday, December 28, 2009

41/2 hr ride and 30min run

The weather looked to be continuing with steady rain.

I opted to do this session on the wind trainer and figured that this will be a great mental toughening session. 

Seeing as it was a long ride and effectively meant to be easy I didn't want to overdo it on the wind trainer, but I didn't want to bludge either.  So, I set a few ground rules; 90 cadence, min 120bpm not exceeding 140 and then when an ad break came on the TV I would change to a harder gear and pedal at 60 cadence for 2 minutes plus rounding up the current minute just to make it easier to manage seeing as my garmin stops showing seconds once it clicks over the hour!

I was set up with my drink bottles all made up, my vegemite sandwiches, my towel, tissues, remote for the TV - I was good to go!

I started off really well; watching CNS news and then 7 news and then Sunrise....  It was at about the 1hr 45min mark that something snapped and I realised that this was going to be a really, really tough session!!!  I started bargaining with myself and coming up with all sorts of things to get me to the next ad break.  Eventually at the 2hr 20min mark my bargainaing and self talk was driving me insane and I was losing the battle.  I had almost talked myself into doing a long ride on Thursday instead!

It was at this point that I thought - bugger it!  I have just over 2 hours to continue riding and I will do it outside - surely that has to be better!  So, I tried to make it a fast transition and a short time later I was riding up my street with the wind in my hair and no rain!  Why on earth would I choose a wind trainer session over this?

I felt like a puppy that had been let out of its cage!  As I was pulling up to cross Moggill Road, I noticed the dark skies above and felt the first light sprinkle.  It was then that I realised that this was going to be a wet ride.  I didn't even mind...

Seconds later the heavens opened up and it stayed like that until I was 10mins from home at the end of my ride!  The rain was stinging my face, I could stay completely hydrated by just sticking out my tongue!  There were very few cyclists and cars out and about which made it a little eerie seeing as I rode around the river loop where there are generally many, many cyclists.

When I got home I was drenched and dripping, so I dried off my feet and put on some dry socks (my new favourite accessory) and picked up the dog and we headed out for a 30min run.  The run was slow, but I felt OK and by this stage the rain had stopped and other than it being quite muggy which I think affected Nattie it was a great run.

It was nice to have this session ticked off and I am pleased that I didn't throw in the towel on the wind trainer!  I have a renewed respect for anyone who can ride on a wind trainer on their own for any length of time....  Maybe my mental toughness needs a bit of work!

0 comments: