Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Swim set

Faye, Craig and I met at Newmarket pool for our pyramid swim set.  Jacque was supposed to be there, but she was conspicuous in her absense.  I txt'd her later in the day and she said that she was bonding with her pillow...  I guess it will be the last opportunity for that, given that we are now less than 12 weeks out!

Jacqui Elliott was there though doing her own thing, so it was great to catch up with her. We had breakfast and coffee around the corner so that was very civilized.

The pool water was disgusting - it reeked of chlorine.  Apparently they had just thrown several handfuls in just prior to us getting in the pool.  It tasted terrible and it made your teeth furry.  My skin was a bit itchy afterwards too and we reeked of chlorine - yuk!!!

Faye said that Trent had warned her not to dive straight into a set with paddles without warming up first so we did a 200m warmup first and then our pyramide set followed by a 200m cool down.  3.8km all up, so it was a good set.  I hadn't swum since the previous Saturday and I felt it!  I struggled a bit, not so much with fitness but with my form.  I brought new paddles, but they were large, not small and in hindsight this was a big mistake.  I could feel my left shoulder whilst swimming and I tried to change my stroke slightly to see if I could get it to feel a bit better, but it continued to bug me. 

It wasn't until later that afternoon that it really started to annoy me.  Craig massaged some Voltaren and then later some Zen into it and this seemed to really help.

Lesson learnt: buy small paddles!!!  I think I will give my shoulder a couple of days off and let it recover and possibly no paddles for the rest of this week as it is quite sore.

0 comments: