Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Nattie's introduction to Ironman training

Due to my slothfulness after the Gold Coast Half Ironman and then my subsequent hamstring injury Nattie the wonder dog dalmatian hadn't been on a run for a number of weeks.

I recently noticed that she looked as though she had put on a bit of weight.

So, this morning's run was a hilly 5km run from home around Kenmore with Nattie.

Nattie was so excited to be going for a run she was beside herself.  It took me ages to calm her down; she normally takes around 5 minutes to settle into a run, but this morning it took about 15 minutes of frustration.  Once she settled down she was great.  She'll get better the more regularly she goes out and I am hoping to give her 2 runs a week and Craig might give her 1 run as well.

She is lovely once she settles down and she will run quite happily beside me, although she does get very perplexed as to why I have to slow down for the hills.  Why do dogs NOT need to slow down for the hills?

This morning I left a little later as I was picking up my allergy de-sensitisation vaccines from the doctor at Kenmore to take them into town where it is going to be more convenient for me to continue with weekly vaccinations - sigh.

As a consequence we didn't start the run until just after 7am and it was HOT.  The last 10 minutes of the run Nattie really struggled; her tongue was hanging out of her mouth and she was panting heavily.  I got a bit worried about her and walked a bit for her.  When she got home she dived into her water bowl and ended up on the kitchen floor under the air-con.  Her eyes were bloodshot and she was flat out like a lizard drinking - poor thing.  So, I will see how she progresses over the next couple of weeks, but the runs will certainly be done a lot earlier in the day and hopefully this will get her fitness up and then she may be able to cope a bit better in the heat.  I'll always have water for her too once the run gets to be around an hour. I remember last year leading up to Mooloolaba I was running with her so I think it is just a fitness thing and she picks her fitness up so quickly unlike us humans!

0 comments: