Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Change of plans

The alarm went off this morning at 5:30 to enable me to get up, get organised, go for a 30min run and then cool down, stretch, etc and get ready for work.  All sounds lovely and civilised, however, for the second week in a row, this just wasn't happening!

I couldn't face getting out of bed and lay there trying to work out how I can alter the training schedule to give me Tuesday's to sleep in.  Now, I hate night sessions.  It's the whole doing a session, having a shower, then having wet hair when you go to bed, eating late, going to bed with a full stomach, bad night's sleep....  anyway, you get the picture - I'm not really a night person.  I like my nights to eat a meal relax, organise my stuff for the next day and get to bed early.

So, this is the new plan:

Sunday am:  Long ride with a short run off the bike
Sunday afternoon: Stretching, Yoga or easy recovery swim
Monday am: Crit session at the track (speed work)
Monday lunch: Trent's swim squad
Tuesday am:  SLEEP IN  (see, it's scheduled - I'm guaranteed not to miss this session!)
Tuesday lunch:  short run 45-60mins
Tuesday pm: Core strength session
Wednesday am: Cootha Reps then ride to work
Wednesday lunch: Swim - pacing set with p/b and paddles
Wednesday pm: ride home from work
Thursday am: long run - building over hills
Thursday lunch: swim set with the 200m TT
Friday am: ride from home to Alberto's for river loop then ride to work
Friday lunch: Massage
Friday pm: ride from work to home
Saturday am or later: Pyramid swim set with a 1hr ride either stationary or riding from pool.

So, I'll see how this goes, I'm sure it will change before too long.  The one thing that I may change is Thursday's swim to Friday and Friday's massage to Thursday, but I'll see how this goes first.

So, armed with my new plan, I ran at lunch.  I was worried about the heat, even though it was only 28 degrees, so I took my drink bottle, popped a nuun electrolyte tablet in and set off.  This was to be a gentle 30min relatively flat run just to make sure that there is absolutely no hamstring niggles and I am really happy to report that it was great; I couldn't even feel a shadow of any pain.

I really enjoyed this run, I think it was because it was at my own pace, there were lots of people out and about so there was always something to look at, there was a gentle breeze and I picked mostly shady areas to run in. 

I felt as though I was running quietly.  By this I mean my feet weren't stomping the ground, my breathing wasn't laboured and I felt like I could run all day.  It felt good.  I'm sure it was slow, but it didn't feel overly slow.  All in all I was really happy with the run and my dickie hamstring I think can now be called my hamstring!

0 comments: