Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Redcliffe Shark encounter!

Craig, Faye and I headed up to Redcliffe's Sutton's Beach to meet Sarah and the family.  The four of us intended on doing a 30min recovery swim in the ocean to flush out the legs and get a bit of open water practice in.

The wind was blowing quite strongly and we fully expected the water to be choppy and as we arrived at the beach we weren't disappointed!

After much deliberation we eventually entered the water.  We had to wade out ages to get to a point where we could swim as it was low tide.  We decided to swim down to the blue toilet block and then regroup.  We almost body surfed down there the chop was so strong and heading in that direction.  I think we arrived there 10mins later!

We decided that we would turn around and head back seeing as it was going to be a tough swim back.  We regrouped on the way back and Craig turned around and said that he saw the dorsal fin and body of a shark just in front of him swimming away!

Well - we didn't need convincing to get out of the water!  We all calmly exited the water and walked up the beach.  I know that when we swim in the ocean we are sharing the ocean with all sea-living creatures, but this encounter was probably a bit too close for my liking.  The shark obviously wasn't aggressive or perhaps I wouldn't be typing this, so I guess that's a good thing.

I'm not sure about how I feel about swimming there again...  Faye and I both readily agreed that next Sunday's open water swim will be at Lake Hugh Muntz which is a freshwater lake with no sharks, sea lice or blue-bottle jelly fish!  I think I am going to be hard to convince to swim anywhere else EVER actually!

0 comments: