Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Swim/Bike brick session

Our programme had us doing a 3 hour recovery ride, however Faye, Craig and I were really keen to get a long open water swim in our wetsuits done.  So, we arranged to meet nice and early at Lake Hugh Muntz at Mermaid Waters to try and beat the heat.

The day turned out to be a little overcast to begin with, so we were thankful for that and hoping that it would keep the heat at bay.

I had mapped out the lake and if we swam around the edge of the lake it was around 3km's and then we could swim over and back from part to park to bring up the distance.

Another guy, Dan met us there and the four of us headed out together after wriggling into our wetsuits.  I was trying out my new tri-suit and new aquashpere goggles, so I was pretty excited as I had high hopes for both!

However, the goggles soon let me down.  Within 15mtrs I was stopping to re-squish them on my face as they were leaking.  I headed off after my re-squishing and no sooner had I got another 10mtrs they were leaking again.  How infuriating!  So, I stopped and decided that I would adjust the strap a bit tighter and see if this helps.  I have floated before in my wetsuit without any effort, however I wasn't floating as I was in fresh water, not salt water so I had to tread water whilst figuring out how to adjust the goggles.  It took a bit of swearing and so forth before I got them adjusted.  I headed out and within another 10mtrs they were leaking.  Meanwhile everyone else was quite a way in front and I was bobbing up and down with these useless goggles!  I decided that I would go back to the car and get my other goggles and use them instead.  So, my swim started off very disjointed and unfortunately I never really got any rhythm into my swim at all!

My wetsuit was making my arms ache, I felt slow and unfit, it was really heating up and I was really thirsty, I kept stopping to do breaststroke...  All in all it was one of those swims which are best left behind!  It was quite laughable really if I didn't have an Ironman in 4 weeks today where I WOULD be swimming in a wetsuit for 3.8kms!

So, what I got from today's session is that I need to do some more wetsuit swims (and sort out my goggles!).  It means that I will have to use my wetsuit in some of my pool swims to get my arms used to the feeling.

Thankfully, the ride was much better.  Craig, Faye and I headed up the Coast as Craig was doing a long ride in that direction.  After 1hr, 30mins Faye and I turned around and headed for home.  We made it up to the "Broken Spoke" near the Strawberry Farm at Woongoolba.  Shortly after we left Craig we called into the Mobil to refuel and it absolutely bucketed down rain!  It was pouring.  By the time we had scoffed some Gatorade and water it had eased slightly, but it was still enough to sting our faces and drench us!

We managed to get back down to Mermaid Waters safely, albeit covered in road grime and filth!  Thankfully I found some wet wipes to remove the worst of it from our faces and hands!  All in all, it was a good quality ride as we had managed 80km's.  I will just write the swim off I think and not dwell on it too much!

0 comments: