Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wetsuit swim at Newmarket pool

Today, Faye and I met at Newmarket Pool to do a wetsuit swim.  The programme had us doing 3 x 1km reps, however we decided we would do 4 x 1km reps as we had the time and it would be a good hit out.

We donned our wetsuits and entered the water feeling a little foolish and self conscious completely decked out in neoprene!  However, once we got started and found our rhythm it was alright, although after the first 1km we pretty much decided that we would do one other in the wetsuit before ditching them otherwise we would end up as human soup!  Even though it was overcast and a little rainy in patches it was still quite warm.

I actually felt as though I warmed into the swim and felt more comfortable in the 4th rep than in the 1st which is a great sign.  I think that I am going to be able to make the distance relatively comfortable in the wetsuit as I am starting to feel a lot more comfortable in it.  The key is going to be trying to keep calm in the melee that is 1200 other athletes all thrashing about.  Swimming in the pool with one other person in the lane and following a black line is almost meditative, but doing an open water swim with people touching you and hitting you and running in to you is going to be a different story.

Race plan:  stay calm and relaxed at all costs.  If it costs me 10-15mins in time at the end of the day it will be worth it to get out of the water relaxed and conserving energy.

0 comments: