Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Long run, swim, shorter run

Today's day started off with my long run which was a 15min warmup, 50min hilly run, 15min cool down. 

I concentrated on my cadence on this run and I found that it made the run go quite quick having something to focus on and play around with.  I am aiming for a cadence of 96.  My normal "Cliff Young shuffle" cadence is around 80.  I found that if I concentrated I could achieve a cadence of 96 if it was on a slight descent.  I was in the low 90's on the flat terrain if I focused on my cadence and it would drop back a little on the hills.  I want to get to the point where I can run in this cadence effortlessly on the flats with a fairly low heart rate and this will be my new focus on all runs. 

I actually felt as though I had a bit of potential to improve!  I felt as though given enough focus I could achieve this and be comfortable running like that and that it would improve my overall times.  It certainly needs a lot of work but I'll see where it leads me.

My post run recovery was great.  I wasn't rushed so I had a good stretching session followed by the rest of my electrolytes as it was really hot and then I headed to the pool with a milo.  I then had a shower and put some skins on and tucked into some weet-bix with a coffee whilst reading the paper.  Ahhh, I've just described the perfect start to the day!

Craig was meeting some friends to ride down to Lake Hugh Muntz where I was meeting some friends to do an open water swim so after breakfast Rachel and I headed down to meet Craig.  When Craig got to LHM he did a 40min run off the bike and Rachel jumped on her bike and rode around with him.  We followed this up with a trip to the cafe for some toasted banana bread dripping with butter with some yoghurt and honey and I washed it down with an iced coffee - the day is getting better!

We headed home and I had arranged to meet Alicia (who I had just swum with) and Bec (recently returned from Vegas) at Cootha for a 30min run.  By the time we got home I only had 40mins before it was time to head out again!  Alicia and Bec were both raring to go and we did a reverse Bardon loop as it had rained and I didn't want to wreak my new shoes doing trails.  The Bardon loop was a good run, it wasn't exactly easy which is what my programme specified but it was nice.  I think Bec found it particularly easy as she was doing most of the talking!  Not quite sure how to talk uphill yet; when I try it just comes out as garbled gasps - something I should practice maybe?

It was great to hear about Bec's trip to Vegas and we stood around afterwards and stretched and chatted.  It certainly makes it easier arranging to meet friends and go for a run.

All in all it was quite a big weekend.  Just trying to think of how I can explain what I got up to on the weekend if anyone asks at work; 5 hr ride, 1hr 20min run, open water swim, 30min run - that pretty much consumed up the whole weekend and it is only going to get worse from here on in!  Gulp.

0 comments: