Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Sunday Long ride

I had a restless night's sleep leading into this one.

There was a group of us all heading out from Jacque G's place at Ashgrove to do an out and back Samford, Dayboro, Mt Mee, Petrie and then straight home bypassing Mt Mee on the way home.  This was to be my longest ride ever accomplished and I was a bit nervous about the pace as I  know that I was the weakest rider, hence my restless night's sleep!

There was Jacque G, Sophie, Sarah, Alicia and myself as well as Tim, Kyle and Brad, however the guys rode together and the girls rode together.  Alicia is training hard for the Geelong Half Ironman and didn't need to do a 5 hour ride so she rode with us out to Dayboro and then bravely rode home on her own. 

The forecast was for showers and I was expecting a wet ride however the sun shone brightly the whole ride.  It had rained overnight so some of the roads were still wet but it turned out to be a much hotter ride than any of us were expecting.

I felt OK throughout the ride, although I did feel pretty slow, maybe it's all the christmas fare churning through my system.  I held the girls up a little, but we regrouped at different places along the way which was good.   I had a lot of discomfort with my hands and wrists as well as a little pain in my toe which I thought was a rock but no rock to be found!  Oddly enough, my bum was fine!  Maybe all the other niggles took away any seat/saddle soreness.

It was quite a hilly ride and unfortunately I didn't make it all the way to the intersection of Mt Mee as once the girls started descending I turned around as I didn't want to hold them up. 

All in all I rode 128km's in just over 5 hours consuming 5 bottles of Hi-5 4:1 electrolytes, 2 anzac cookies and 2 vegemite sandwiches.  When I finished I drank 2 big glasses of water, a can of coke, some watermelon, half a toasted muffin with avocado, a fun size snickers bar and an Up and Go.  When I weighed myself when I got home I was 1 kilo lighter than what I was prior to when I headed out.  Oh boy!!!  This equates to about 1 litre of fluid loss, so even though I drank heaps it wasn't enough.  I probably should have aimed for 7 bottles of electrolytes on this ride in the heat that we had.  My new goal is to consume a drink bottle of electolytes every 45minutes on a long ride.

0 comments: