Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sunny lunchtime run

Well, as part of my acclimatisation to the heat that I will be experiencing at Goondiwindi I ventured out into the heat to do a 40min run.

Today in Brisbane the temperature climbed to 33°C.  I'm not sure if it was that hot when I was running, but I left work at 12:00 midday, so it would have been close enough.  I was armed with a drink bottle full of water and a nuun tablet.


It was slow, very slow.  Oddly enough I felt OK in the heat, I was drinking regularly and I was sweating, but I wasn't too uncomfortable.  Maybe this means that I am acclimatising, let's hope so!



However the thing that has got me a bit down is my pace.  I am so slow.  I know that I am not doing speed work for fear of injuring myself and I can accept that I am going to be slow.  But it just got me a bit down today. 

I have a new gadget - it is a Garmin FR60W and it has a foot pod.  I mainly wanted it so that I could have a garmin HR monitor that matched in with my bike computer and which I could also use in the race that would give me HR in the run too.  I can swim in it and it will run a stopwatch over 17hours (my Ironman cutoff).  This achieves all that as well as giving me my pace.  Now, I haven't calibrated it just yet, but from experience they don't ever seem to be too far off.  I was running between 6min 30 to 7min pace.  Just so slow.  So, then I calculate how that equates to running a marathon and as you can imagine it's not really a thought worth dwelling on!  I am prepared to be out there a long time and I know that I need to prepare mentally as I AM going to be out there a long time.  I just need to somehow get over it and move on.  I'm not going to get magically quicker between now and race day so it is what it is.

Sigh.




0 comments: