Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Lunchtime run

I have registered for Goondiwindi's Hell of the West triathlon so I need to acclimatise to running in the heat.

Today was a good day for that - 30 degrees with not much humidity.  I ran the 7km loop from Central Station down Ann Street to the river, towards the Botanical Gardens, over the Goodwill Bridge, over the Storey Bridge and then finish at Riverside Centre for a stretch.

I felt good, I ran in the shade where I could find it as I don't need any additional sun and I felt good.  I was sweating and it was hot, but I was comfortable.  I carried a drink bottle and sipped water when I needed it.  I finished feeling stronger than I started and I felt as though I could have kept running.  In saying that I am starting to overthink how long a marathon is and as I was finishing my run I did some mental calculations and divided a marathon into the 7km loop I did and it didn't come out very well!  When I finished my run I said to myself  "I would have to do that ANOTHER 5 times!!"  7kms is not insubstantial, so 42.2kms is a really, really long way.

I think to get over my fear of this distance I am going to think the word "now".  What do I need to do now?  Enjoy the moment now!  Only worry about now!  I am trying to treat my training like that too.  I haven't been thinking too far ahead on what is in store and I find that it really helps because if I looked at the whole programme I would down tools and get into my sloth position on the couch never to see the outside world again.

Mostly, however I am feeling fitter and stronger (and more tired of course!).  I am still an Athena, but my body shape is changing.  I see glimpses of muscles poking through that weren't there before.

I am also being very careful to not demoralise myself by running and riding with people that are going to completely annihaliate me - I just don't need that!  I feel as though I will get through the distance; no - I don't think it is going to be a great time (I certainly won't be qualifiying for Kona!) however I certainly hope that I am not the last one through that Mike calls out before the end of the night. I am quietly confident that if I trudge through at my own pace I will get there in the end, with hopefully a little time up my sleeve.

What more could I ask for.

0 comments: