Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Friday, March 21, 2008

20k time trial at Nundah

Today was our 20km time trial at Nundah. I had my race wheels on as I want to get used to them for Mooloolaba and will keep them on now for the next few sessions prior to Mooloolaba.

I started at the back of the pack and managed to overtake a couple of the slower ones pretty quickly and settled behind Tania. It was good to have someone to guage how I was going. I found that I was gaining on her on the straight where we had a head wind and the she would gain on me around the back curves. I didn't make much ground on her in the first 6 laps or so and then over the next 6 or so laps I inched closer and closer before eventually overtaking her.

I was lapped a few times by the leaders and I was lapped by Dad. It seemed to me that there was a lot of drafting going on by some of the others. I can honestly say that there was no drafting from me. I was lapped by Jacqui Elliott and Sophie which I was really disapointed with, I was hoping that I could keep them in my sights, but I lost track of them at the start of the time trial and never saw them again until they lapped me! They have both really improved over the last couple of months and unfortunately I haven't gone with them! I'll have to be patient.

I was a bit disappointed when I finished, however when Craig checked the results out from the last time trial I was 3:40 quicker so that made me feel a lot better. Sure, I have a new bike, race wheels, but they would attribute for 1minute over 20k if that, so that is a great PB for me. 36:45 was my time.

I felt fairly comfortable. My HR was in the 150's, I would not have been able to hold a conversation, I was in my tri bars the whole time except when the leaders overtook me the first time as it was a bit congested.

I found that if I had my cadence around 90 this seemed to be optimum for me. When I went into an easier gear to do 95, I seemed to lose ground so I will use that information to help me at Mooloolaba.

0 comments: