Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Monday Mooloolaba Swim

Today was Easter Monday - and yes, I still have some easter eggs left! I am trying to have most of them still left until after the triathlon next Sunday! Don't know if I can make them last that long though...

I slept in today, it was bliss and probably just what the doctor ordered. We then made our way up to Mooloolaba to practice open water swimming. When we got there it was just about midday and it was windy and rainy and the water looked choppy and I just wanted to curl up with a coffee and then go home! I tried to convince Craig what a good idea that would be, but he said we would feel great once we swam... Yeah, yeah...

We went and had a chat to the lifeguards, there were a few rips about but they said that we would avoid them where we were swimming. We pretty much did the Triathlon swim course, maybe shortened just a little, but not much. It was actually a lot better than it looked, the waves weren't big and it was just a bit up and down when we were out the back of it, but nothing too bad. I was able to settle into a nice rhythm pretty early on and felt as though I was swimming with nice clean strokes. I certainly wasn't going fast, but I'm not expecting to go fast!

I was still very nervous coming in and started looking behind me pretty much as soon as I headed in for shore. I really need to stop doing this, but I am completely paranoid that a big wave is about to swallow me up and chomp on me for a bit and then spit me out! Even with this fear I was able to get to shore without any dramas... I accept that it will be a bit slow next weekend, but I will just aim to get on with it as quick as I can.

We got held up a bit later trying to get home due to a few factors, mainly having to call in to work on the way home and traffic. As a consequence I didn't go for a cycle as planned which is a real shame. I am feeling as though I could be fitter for this weekends race, but I just need to accept now that I am not going to gain fitness and that the work that I have put in over the past couple of months will get me there. I could also be a bit lighter. This will be the heaviest I have raced at which is not good, but it will probably end up being 1kg heavier which is not going to make too much difference. I hope I am not disappointed with the race.

0 comments: