Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Mooloolaba Ocean Swim/Run

Today we picked up Alex and Trish and headed up to Mooloolaba to get some on course practice in. There was just the 4 of us and we told the Surf Life Savers what we were about and headed off.

We walked up towards the swim start from the SLSC, we only went up a short way though. We ended up going out there and then swiming up just past the Loo with a View and then we swam back and then back again and then we got out of the water at the flags, then got back in the water and swam back to where we started. So, we probably got in a good 30mins of swimming, however we spent a bit of time regrouping as we wanted to swim as a group and then it took ages for me to get out of the water, so everyone had to wait around for me to get out! The last time we went out Craig and Trish swam beside me and tried to encourage me to ride a wave in instead of standing there waiting for waves to come and then ducking underneath them - very time consuming way to get into shore particularly if there are a lot of waves coming in!

So, I was swimming in, felt that dreaded suck in feeling of a wave coming so stopped and Craig and Trish said "Swim", so I swam and managed to catch the wave! It felt amazing! My problem is I just can't judge the waves, to know whether to try and catch them in or to swim under them. I guess it is all practice, but I'll get there eventually.

The run was good, I set off and was going to do the 10k run in my Aerobic capacity. So, my HR was around the 80% mark and I was feeling comfortable, breathing easy and the weather was great. However, my foot has been bothering me for a little while now and every time I run I can feel it for the first 10 minutes or so until I warm up and then it goes away. This time, however it didn't go away. So I decided to only do 1 lap, not 2 which was really disappointing. I am really frustrated with myself as I have known that I need to get it to the physio, but I've been telling myself that it is OK. So, I am going to have to book a physio appointment... I'm hoping that this won't curtail my running too badly for Mooloolaba - that would really suck!

Luckily Alex and Trish had an ice pack so I used that on the way home, however it is still quite sore tonight.

Craig had an absolute blinder - he did 11k's in 54mins which is brilliant! He did the same course last year and took 1hr 17mins so this is a huge improvement. It is sessions like this that give perspective to the improvements that have been made!

0 comments: