Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Swim/Ride session at Suttons Beach

This morning we did a swim from Suttons Beach followed by a ride.

Mark told us to go up the beach using the point as a marker for 15 minutes and then turn around and come back. It was quite choppy and you could see that there was quite a current. Muffy, Jacque and I decided to swim together (our individual chances of being eaten by a shark a reduced to 33%!).

The swim was horrid! Swimming against the current was plain hard work, the water was disgusting and dirty, there was big clumps of seaweed and the constant up and down of the waves to get through. Jacque just about quit Mooloolaba - she said that she was going to pull out! It was not a fun swim. We swam and then regrouped several times. We tried to swim to the toilet block, it was so close, yet so far away when we were going against the current, in the end we had been swimming for 18mins and still not getting any closer to it, so we turned around. The swim back was quick! It was much better going with the current, we still had the seaweed to contend with, but we could breathe on the left hand side without getting a mouthful of waves!

I was very relieved to have finished the swim! Jacque was not happy and burst into tears when telling Mark about it. She did really well, she was swimming at the same pace as Muffy and I.

The ride was good, we had to slow the guns up so that we could hang on to them. Once they were brought back to my pace (slow) it was a lovely ride. We just did an easy 30kms and it was quite pleasant. It was actually a good ride for me as there was only 6 or 7 of us and everyone there was an experienced rider, so it gave me a bit of confidence with riding in a pack again. I didn't start off too good, but after I settled into it I was very comfortable and holding the wheel and riding comfortably. Just need to do more of it...

0 comments: