Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Kenmore, South East Qld, Australia
I'm a vegetarian who loves dining out, dark chocolate and catching up with friends over a run or a bike ride followed by a yummy breakfast. I live with my carnivorous husband, dalmatian dog and burmese cat.

Monday, March 3, 2008

Lunchtime swim squad is back

The Valley pool has been inundated with school swimming carnivals during the month of February... Very inconsiderate! So, I have been pretty slack with my swimming; I've been doing 1 or 2 sessions a week at Somerville House pool, but very relaxing social swims with the guys from work - hardly heavy training sessions prepaing me for Mooloolaba Triathlon!

Today was the first day that Trent was back at the pool for lunchtime swim squad sessions. This is seperate to Brisbane Tri Squad, but I find it easier to get to these sessions and I get to avoid the whole night time swim stuff which I really hate.

I love Trent's sessions. We have a 50mtr pool, there is usually only a few of us in a lane and he is great at giving out tips on stroke correction. I had only just finished the warm up today and he told me that I was turning out instead of in with my right hand when I enter the water. This makes sense to me as I have been getting an aching hand and arm when swimming, but couldn't work out why. So, I really concentrated on keeping my hand turned in - to the point that my pinky was going in first. Normally I enter the water with my index finger so this will get a bit of getting used to and will probably go through a few incarnations before it is right (or better at least!).

The session for today was as follows:

800mtrs warmup - 200 hypoxic (every 5th stroke), 200 drill, 200 hypoxic, 200 drill.
3 x 300mtrs with pull buoy. First 300 easy, 2nd medium, 3rd hard 1min break between each.
4 x 50mtrs 25mtrs easy, 25mtrs hard 10 secs break at each 50mtrs.
4 x 50mtrs 25mtrs hard, 25mtrs easy 10secs break at each 50mtrs.
400 warmdown, 50 free, 50 choice.

I found the session pretty good. I didn't struggle too badly with the endurance so I think that I am going to be on track for Mooloolaba. I have just under 4 weeks to polish it up a bit. Of course if I had started training in earnest 2 months ago (or earlier) I would be in a lot better position... Oh, hindsight.

0 comments: